Sunday, February 2, 2014

SuperBowl lightup beanie

I'm not a sports person and I didn't watch the superbowl. I did see something about some promotion Pepsi beanies that lite up to form a "display" at the half time show. This intrigued me. How do you get thousands of hat-lights synced? What sort of batteries does it have? How could they make so many disposable ones?

I had questions so of course I hopped on over to ebay to see if any were up yet (superbowl wasn't even done.). And yes of course there was one. I started pondering if it would be worth it since it might prove to be cool to hack in to something. After taking a closer look at the hats picture where you could see the LED's, I noticed one of the cutouts was not an LED. It was an IR receiver. Pretty much lost interest at that point since that explains it all. Everyone will be facing forward during the halftime show more than likely. So you get an IR blaster hitting them in the faces to get control. Batteries were probably some CR2032's or something. It only needed to last for the performance. I'm sure the designers tested everything to make sure it all came together. I was hoping for some RF or something. Oh well. Still kind of a cool idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment