Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Faronics Deep Freeze

So in malware testing, vm's will not always work for you. Some of the smarter malware will recognize it is in a vm and execute code differently or not at all sometimes. This leaves me with running malware on a live system. Obviously it's incredibly easy to just load malware on to a usb drive and run it on a machine. But then that machine can no longer be used for testing future malware since it is contaminated.

Having to reinstall windows and update every time I test something would be absurd. So my normal method has been the use of a SATA hard drive duplicator and a bunch of hard drives I found around the office (I have about 15). So I would get a good clean install on a machine and pull that drive as a master drive, and use it as a source to duplicate drives any time I needed to fire up a fresh test platform. While this works fine, it's still a time consuming pain. I have to pull the drive out and wait for the duplication to finish. Since it's a byte for byte duplicator, it took around 45 minutes per drive. This was fine for most days, but on days where I had a lot of new samples, this wasn't feasible.

After some poking around online, I came across Faronics Deep Freeze software. It seemed to fit the bill for what I needed. It allowed me to create a system how I wanted it, then "freeze" it. When frozen, all changes on the pc are reverted back to the initial frozen state upon reboot. It took some playing around with for me to get used to it. I had done all my updates and software installs in a frozen state at first, so the reboot wiped it all. But eventually I got it working.

So far it has been a great success. I ran across a small exe file to test yesterday, and it ended up being a downloader for cryptolocker. So I got the normal pop up screen saying I must pay whatever yadda yadda.

oh noes



After I gathered all my data, it was time to test out Deep Freeze. I clicked reboot and about 50 seconds later I was back to a clean desktop. I poked around and it looks like everything did indeed go back to how it was. I'm only on a trial but I do certainly plan to purchase this. I'm not yet convinced it's 100% bullet proof but it seems to work great so far. There are also some alternatives to it listed on wikipedia I may check out as well. Overall a good time saver so far.

2 comments: